This is for all those 2nd years out there. You’re no longer a fledgling first year student and lecturers are starting to expect more of you.
What I Wish I’d Known in Second Year – Vivian Kong, Class of 2019
Second year is when the real clinical work starts, so get ahead by:
- Make the best use of your time in the preclinic labs – read the manual beforehand and come prepared.
- Required readings are definitely assessable, don’t forget to revise them before exams!
- Share notes and ask each other for help, grade cohesiveness is so important to survive this huge step up in workload – try a shared Google Doc for example!
- Practice for your practical exams. Practice at the clinic and if possible practice at the practices you work at. Practice practice practice makes perfect!
- Make sure you read course outlines and make a note of all the assessments so there are no nasty surprises!
- Echo360 is your friend; download lectures and listen to them on the bus/train to uni.
Editors: Cindy Van and Celine Zhang
Disclaimer: The views & opinions expressed in this post are those of the guest author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions & views of the UNSW OptomSoc or UNSW School of Optometry and Vision Science.